32 year-old loving mum struggling with lockdown took her own life after being haunted by flashbacks of gang r*pe

A loving mother who struggled with lockdown took her own life as she was haunted by flashbacks of a gang r*pe.

Nicola McIntyre, 32, had suffered from mental health issues since she was a child, but an inquest heard how lockdown and a 'betrayal,' by a work friend had an adverse effect on her wellbeing. 

The shop worker, described as 'kind, loving and so much fun' by her two sisters, was found at her home in Anson Road, East Hull, on August 29 after taking a number of prescribed medications.

Hull Coroner's Court heard how the mother-of-one became 'deeply depressed,' after discovering her partner had slept with her friend. 

The inquest heard how Ms McIntyre had struggled with her mental health after her parents split up when she was four-years-old.

The split 'changed her world,' according to her sister Sarah. 

After leaving school aged 16 to become an apprentice hairdresser, Nicola went on to have a number of difficult relationships beginning aged 19.

The court heard how Nicola had a son, but the relationship with his father broke down.

She moved out of their flat and moved into a council house. She later moved into a house in Anson Road after meeting her latest partner.

After securing a new job, Nicola became friends with a colleague who she suspected was 'conspiring with' her partner. The court heard claims the friend later admitted to sleeping with him.

Around the same time, she started experiencing 'vivid memories and flashbacks' of a gang r*pe involving a group of men. 

Sister Hayley Todd told the court: 'I could see that she was changing and becoming deeply depressed. 

'She told me that she went to get help from multiple mental health charities. She told me that she felt that no one was helping and that she was failing.'

The court heard that Nicola was trying to get professional help to help with her problems but felt she was not getting the right care.

In the final month of her life, Nicola was unwell and frightened 'she would go nuts', according to Hayley. 

She said the coronavirus lockdown also had an adverse effect on Nicola's mental health while difficulties in her circle of friends 'made her feel more anxious'. 

On August 27, Hayley said Nicola seemed 'very happy' when the three sisters took part in a three-hour WhatsApp video call.

The call ended at 6pm and after making plans to meet up with sister Sarah for dinner the following week. 

'I text "I love you" and she said it back and that was the last I heard from her,' Sarah said.

Sadly, both sisters were informed of Nicola's death just over a day later after she was discovered unresponsive in her home before being transferred to Hull Royal Infirmary where she was later pronounced dead.

Coroner Rosemary Baxter concluded Nicola had died as a result of suicide.

No comments