Horror as boy, 15, knifed to death in street

A teenager was stabbed to death in the latest killing on London’s streets as new figures reveal that five young people are knifed in the cap...

A teenager was stabbed to death in the latest killing on London’s streets as new figures reveal that five young people are knifed in the capital every day.

The 15-year-old, named locally as Tashaun Jones, was found critically injured in Hackney shortly before 9pm last night. He was the eighth teenager to have been stabbed to death in the capital this year.

Minutes later, a second boy, aged 16, was found with knife wounds a few hundred yards away.

He was taken to hospital with injuries that were not said to be life-threatening. Detectives believe the two stabbings — yards from Stoke Newington’s high street — were linked and are investigating possible gang involvement.

Tashaun — also known as Eird — was  an Arsenal fan.  His grandfather said: “This is a difficult time... we are suffering.”

His friends said he loved music and dreamed of being a professional producer. The family laid flowers at the scene today and sobbed and hugged each other.

A 26-year-old man was also stabbed in a clash near Camden Underground station early today. He was treated at the scene in Camden Road shortly after midnight before being taken to hospital in a critical condition.

The bloodshed came as Scotland Yard revealed that 1,768 young people aged under 25 were stabbed in the past 12 months in London. It means that, on average, nearly five young people suffer knife injuries every day in the capital, although police point out the number has fallen on the previous 12 months when it topped 2,000. The Met said this meant there were 311 fewer victims in the past 12 months, and described the figures as “extremely encouraging”.

Today a huge cordon extended around the murder scene in Somerford Grove and a police tent covered the spot where Tashaun fell.

Met Commissioner Cressida Dick today described the murder as “just a terrible, terrible incident”.  She said the two victims were with a group of other boys and possibly a girl and that there had been “some sort of confrontation with another group” during which the 15-year-old was fatally stabbed and the other boy injured.

A mother of two said: “I heard the poor boy’s sister screaming. The police were keeping her back and she was shouting, ‘that’s my brother, my brother’. It was heartbreaking to hear.”

A shop worker today said he had tried to help one of the victims who staggered into his store. Abdullah Maruf was working at the Elif Food Centre when the boy ran in with blood pouring from a wound in his back. He said: “He was screaming and crying, ‘help me, help me’. There was a wound in his back, there was a lot of blood. He looked very scared and was obviously badly wounded. I tried to calm him down. He was so young, like a child.

“I called the ambulance and was waiting with him. We were all in shock, I have never seen anything like it.”

Police imposed Section 60 powers across Hackney last night to allow officers to search people without suspicion amid fears of gang retaliation attacks.

Mayor Sadiq Khan tweeted: “I am deeply saddened by the fatal stabbing of a 15-year-old boy in Hackney. My thoughts are with his family and loved ones.

“This horrific violence has absolutely no place on our streets.”

GENERAL NEWS$type=sticky$count=12$cate=1


Sex Case$type=three$author=hide$comment=hide$rm=hide

MOST POPULAR FEATURED ASIAN NEWS$type=sticky$count=30$cate=1